Perfect BBQ Pizzas
If there were any benefits to the last pandemic year, perhaps getting back to the kitchen was the main one.
With restaurants temporarily shut, most of us did (and are still doing) a lot more cooking and baking.
Bread Shortages encouraged lots of us to start making our own bread, while many people ventured further and made their own Pizzas and Pasta.
Here at Surefire Wood, we experienced an unexpected high demand for people sourcing Charcoal or locally produced Hardwood to get that real authentic taste for the BBQ, Grill, or Pizza Oven
Below I have included a simple Pizza recipe from Italian Chef Gino D’Acampo
- 200g strong white flour plus extra for dusting
- 7g fast-action dried yeast
- Pinch of salt
- 140ml water, warm
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 200g passata (sieved tomatoes)
- 2 mozzarella balls, drained and cut into little cubes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare 2 baking trays by pouring 1 tablespoon of oil on each tray and spreading it with your fingers or pastry brush. Brush the inside of a large bowl with oil.
- To prepare the dough, put the flour, yeast and salt into a large bowl, make a well in the centre and pour in the water with 1 tablespoon of oil. Use a wooden spoon to mix everything together to create a wet dough.
- Turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and work it with your hands for about 5 minutes until smooth and elastic. Place in the oiled bowl, brush the top with oil and cover with clingfilm. Leave to rest at room temperature for 25 minutes.
- Preheat the oven or Pizza Oven to 200°C/400°F/Gas Mark 6.
- Once rested, turn out the dough onto a well-floured surface and divide it into 2 equal halves. Use your hands to push each one out from the centre, to create 2 round discs about 25cm in diameter. Place the pizza bases on the oiled baking trays.
- Spread the passata evenly over the top of the bases using the back of a tablespoon. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the mozzarella between the 2 pizzas and drizzle each one with 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil.
- Cook in the middle of the oven for 18 minutes until golden brown. Two minutes before the end of the cooking, scatter over the basil and continue to cook. Serve hot and enjoy.